Thursday, August 15, 2013

Manna In the Desert

Some things just don't work out.

Maybe it's because we often try to replicate something that only God can make.

I tried to make manna. Thinking that it would be a perfect visual for last Sunday's class, I researched the web for recipes.

There were many.

The only one that came close called for buckwheat groats and honey. Sure...not a problem.

Only healthfood stores sell groats.

I soaked the groats, as the recipe called for it, but I don't think they needed to be soaked that long. Mixed in the honey and spread it in the pan.

Now, the recipe said I'd get a 'granola' type texture after baking at 170 degrees for 3 hours.

Nope. Not even close. I got a soft layer that I cut into squares.

If that's the way manna tasted, no wonder that the Israelites made it into breads and cakes. It tasted sweet but kind of bland.

During the lesson I showed it to the children. Only two were brave enough to nibble it, but there was immediate rejection. That called for real snacks of juice and Goldfish crackers.

Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose.

At least it got their attention.

This week...'spies' will be sent out into the 'land of Canaan' to search for the milk and honey that God promised. They will definitely find the 'giants' and probably find the over-large bunch of 'grapes' on a pole in my office to carry back to the 'camp'.

Pics next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment