Friday, August 2, 2013

A Little Bit of Latitude Goes Long

Well, I asked my Pastor's wife if I could decorate the bulletin boards in the children's wing of church.

As I researched for ideas, a fish theme started to formulate in my mind. Here's the finished products for the hallway:


There were 2 more panels across from these and I decorated those, too, with 'Hooked on Jesus' and 
'Fisher of Men'.

Since July was coming to a close and our Children's Church was revamped to begin on August 1, I searched for a theme for my room for the 5-8 year olds. I kept thinking about August being the near end of vacation and usually beautiful weather. 

Then, I thought 'Summer doesn't really end until the end of September', so I wanted a theme that would take me to fall.

FISH! Oh my, I continued the theme from the hall into my room.

First on my agenda was to get the tv/vcr out of there! I don't use it since I only have 45 minutes with my students and, at the moment, I'm the only one using the room, so I decided to make it my own.

I needed a Book Nook. I love the internet because with all of the creativity out there, it's easy to find something, make it your own and create it with the existing resources within the building.

A century ago, no only five years ago, I owned a bridal shop. A friend of mine made two bookshelves that I used for displays at bridal shows. I later donated them to the church and they even survived the flood of 2011!

They were in the conference room and wouldn't be missed so I moved them to my room to divide and make a corner area. That was the start of my nook. As you can see in the picture, it came together quite well when I found the fish spirals to hang from the ceiling and the fish nets on the walls. Fish cut outs filled the nets and the back sides of the bookcases, I decorated with streamers and the rest of the cut outs. 

I found the funky pillows at Big Lots for back to school. The design fits in resembling the water.

I can't wait for Sunday to show the kids. 

I'll add the other fishy stuff to my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment