Friday, July 12, 2013

Teach Sunday School? Who Me?

Ex-Young Adult Sunday School Teacher looking for a purpose.


I had taught 18-25 year old's for 5 years. Whew!

Don't get me wrong, I loved them all. They kept me on my toes, loved to hide under my desk and behind my office door to scare me so that I would screech when we were suppose to be quiet, and struggled to keep their minds focused on God's purposes for their lives instead of the latest YouTube video.

The brutal part was trying to come up with a lesson that fulfilled ME! Inept was a word that surfaced every Monday and carried on through to Sunday night. I agonized over the blank stares and bored 45 minute conversations. I have a hole in my life because they've left the church through moving, marriage, career changes and school. A part of me left, too.

So, when I told the pastor's wife that I was down to one student and none that age left in the church, she asked me to teach 5-8 year old's.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? My own daughter could hardly get me to play a board game with her at that age. I did teach her to love cross-stitch, though and now she's an expert!

So I said, why not?

Little did I know that what had been missing in my life's creativity would bloom into a fulfilled love of teaching that overflows the cup that God gave me. I feel so blessed, satisfied and full of joy!

Why? I don't know. I think we sometimes have a concept of what we want to do with our 'giftings' but God knows exactly how He wired us and where we would find that peace that transcends all understanding.

I hardly recognize myself.

So starting off with my first Sunday, I kept to the traditional script of story, snack, craft. I had to be prepared because these little ones know if you aren't ready. It went well enough, except...they don't sit still!

I was still bored.

Then, I started really looking at the resources. The next quarter was on obedience. Hmm, I need to get that across. I've spoken the name of one of my students so much that I was hearing myself in my sleep. So, I made an obedience board. Pics will come later. 

This was the answer to the silent scream that went up to heaven. Now, my students are more than willing to be obedient. Even to the point that they raise their hands to pray out loud!

Next, I decided that I was boring and needed to liven things up. The Bible comes alive when you envision how to portray the stories as real events.

I've made 'stocks' for legs out of cardboard. Next was an Israelite house for Passover. God said to plunder the Egyptians so we did! Even though it looked like Mardi Gras when they entered the Sanctuary. Ha!

This week is the parting of the Red Sea and the pillar of cloud and fire. I can hardly wait to dramatize and involve them in the lesson. 

The bonus in doing all of this for Lord, is that I'm learning at the same time.

More to come with pics! Thanks for listening.







No comments:

Post a Comment