Friday, July 12, 2013

Exodus from Egypt

Well, here are my props for this Sunday's lesson:

I started off trying to think of a way to visualize a pillar of cloud and a pillar of fire for my class.

Funny, how I can't wait to get started on the next lesson as soon as class is over. Instead of a ministry let-down after class, I'm pumped more that ever to get to the next continuation of Biblical history.

I went to sleep Monday night asking the Lord to give me an idea on how to make these pillars. Of course, I wanted them huge but would settle for my 5 foot height. To a 5 year old that would be enough.

Tuesday morning wake up...no idea. Prayer time...it popped on my inner eye. I have one of those, too.

What if I took 2 tomato cages and put the wide ends together and the one footed end into a wooden platform, add a light and presto...pillar of fire!



 The base is just 3 drilled holes in a plywood square to put the bottom wires in. The center was zip-tied together. And then we added the up-light on the inside of the bottom.

Next I made the fire with yellow, orange and red tissue paper. I started from the top with the yellow and just kept working my way down, adding the orange and red to overlap. I then tore some strips of tissue paper and glued on the surface for a little added texture.


The pillar of cloud was framed the same way except I didn't use a base. I had gone to a thrift shop and found a white twin comforter. I just wrapped it around the frame and pinned it so that it would stay closed.

Adding to the lesson the craft from our curriculum. It fits perfectly to start off the class.



Instead of coloring, I took black and blue construction paper for the pillar backgrounds t(o signify night and day) and glued them to a white cardboard for stability. Then using the templates, cut out the 2 pillars and glued them to the black and blue areas. I tore pieces of the tissue paper and glued them to make the flame and then tore apart some cotton balls to make the cloud. Next, I cut out the Bible verse and voila! 

(Glue sticks are a most wonderful invention!)

At the end we will see 'The Red Sea' parting by the breath of God! I purchased 2 dozen balloons, blew them up and then bagged them until the end of class. We will spill them on the floor to signify the 'water of the sea'. Then, Moses will stretch forth his staff and behind him the window fan will blow to part the waters! I think they'll have fun with the balloons. That will be our release of energy time.

Oh, how great is God, to give us such enjoyment to reenact His story!

No comments:

Post a Comment